ACT Signs on to Federal Firearms Buyback Scheme, Joining NSW Government
The territory will compensate about 1,000 gun owners as it tightens firearm rules and limits ownership to five weapons for most licence holders.
- On Saturday, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced the Australian Capital Territory will join the federal gun buyback scheme to prevent a repeat of last year's deadly Bondi Beach attack.
- Following the December 14, 2025, terrorist attack at Bondi, where two gunmen killed 15 people at a Hanukkah festival, National Cabinet members agreed to strengthen firearm restrictions across Australia.
- The Commonwealth will fund 75 per cent of buyback and administrative costs, while the territory progresses the Firearms Amendment Bill 2026, which caps ownership at five firearms for most licence holders.
- ACT Police Minister Marisa Paterson stated the government aims to keep Canberrans safe while developing a digital ACT Firearms Registry, acknowledging that the overwhelming majority of firearm owners are responsible citizens.
- While the ACT follows New South Wales in joining the scheme, jurisdictions including the Northern Territory, Tasmania, and Queensland have declined to sign up, with Western Australia continuing its existing program.
30 Articles
30 Articles
Australia’s capital to join gun buyback after Bondi Beach attack, Albanese says
Australia's most populous state, NSW, was the first to commit to the plan
Albanese: Canberra to join Australia’s gun buy-back programme after Bondi attack
Australia’s capital will join a gun buy-back as part of a response to a shooting spree that killed 15 at a Jewish festival in Sydney, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday. Albanese’s centre-left government enacted laws in January for the gun buy-back, tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on hate in the wake of the December 14 gun attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales. Th…
Canberra joins Australia’s gun buyback scheme after 2025 Bondi massacre
CANBERRA, Aug 22 — Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday that the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), which includes Canberra, will join a gun buyback scheme in response to December’s fatal mass shooting at Bondi Beach, reported Xinhua.Albanese said in a statement that the ACT has agreed to introduce a gun buyback scheme as part of a push to strengthen Australia’s firearm laws.The federal government introduced legislation for the gun …
Australia’s capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack, Albanese says - Regional Media News
SYDNEY, Aug 22 (Reuters) - Australia's capital will join a gun buyback as part of a response to a shooting spree that killed 15 at a Jewish festival in Sydney, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday. Albanese's centre-left government enacted laws in January for the gun buyback, tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on hate in the wake of the December 14 gun attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, the capital o…
Australia is preparing to expand its gun buyback program to Canberra following the mass shooting at a Jewish festival on Bondi Beach in Sydney that killed 15 people. The country emphasized its commitment to stricter gun control measures to prevent further attacks.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 45% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

























