Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says

Two survivors were rescued, and one remained in critical condition after the boat capsized on a route used for Europe-bound migration, a rights group said.

  • On Saturday, Mostafa Abdelkebir, head of the Tunisian Observatory, reported that at least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while sailing toward Italy. The vessel departed early on Thursday.
  • The central Mediterranean remains one of the world's deadliest migration routes, where migrants from Africa and the Middle East often use overcrowded or unseaworthy boats to reach Europe.
  • One of the two survivors told rescuers they were stranded at sea for hours after the boat capsized, while Abdelkebir reported the second survivor is in critical condition.
  • Migrant departures from Tunisia have fallen sharply over the past two years, following a government crackdown and tighter maritime controls backed by European funding and equipment from Italy.
  • Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International stated last month that the EU-Tunisia migration deal fueled abuses, calling on European officials to suspend funding for Tunisian security forces.
Insights by Ground AI

69 Articles

Lean Left

A single survivor could be rescued after spending almost two days at sea drifting

·Madrid, Spain
Read Full Article
Lean Right

A total of thirteen Tunisian citizens are missing after the sinking this Friday of a boat near Al Yadariya, in the region of Ben Guerdán, on the coast of Tunisia. Zarzis maritime surveillance center has been activated after the incident and fishers have been mobilized from the ports of Al Katif, Zarzis and Yerba, as reported by the Tunisian station Mosaique FM. After the first rescue work two men have been taken out of the water. These are two y…

·Madrid, Spain
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 40% of the sources lean Right
40% Right

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Al Bawaba broke the news in Amman, Jordan on Saturday, August 22, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal