Ceuta Begins Burials for Migrants Who Died Attempting to Cross Into the Spanish Territory
Authorities said 95% of the dead remain unidentified as Ceuta plans to bury about 70 migrants in the coming days.
- At a Muslim cemetery in Ceuta, 18 migrants were laid to rest on Friday, among more than 90 who died during Spain's deadliest border crisis three weeks ago.
- Fueled by misinformation and poverty, more than 72,000 people poured into Ceuta, a Spanish territory neighboring Morocco, with many drowning or killed in a stampede near a border checkpoint.
- A spokesperson for Ceuta's city government said last week Morocco had not accepted repatriation paperwork, so authorities marked graves with numbered stones for potential future family identification.
- The Moroccan Association for Human Rights called the burials a "new human tragedy," adding to the "disaster of displacement and missing persons," and demanded the process be halted.
- Under Islamic custom, bodies were placed facing Mecca while funeral workers read prayers praising God; more migrants are expected to be buried soon as Morocco did not respond to repatriation inquiries.
57 Articles
57 Articles
They live in industrial ships near the border with Morocco waiting for a new life
(Berlin=Yonhap News) Correspondent Kim Gye-yeon = Funeral procedures have begun for migrants who died while crossing the border between Morocco in North Africa and the Spanish territory of Ceuta, Euronews reported...
Immigrants who died trying to enter Ceuta are buried on August 21, 2026. Antonio Sempere/AP The Spanish city of Ceuta began to bury immigrants who died trying to enter the territory three weeks ago. The dead, whose identities are unknown, were among the more than 90 immigrants who lost their lives during the most deadly border crisis in Spain. Driven by misinformation, poverty and lack of opportunities, more than 72,000 people arrived in Ceuta a…
Funerals have begun for the victims of the mass crossing incident that occurred in Ceuta, Spain, last month. Excluding the six individuals whose identities have been confirmed, 95% of the deceased are being buried under numbered gravestones without names. DNA matching for identification is underway amidst voices from human rights groups opposing burial before the bodies are handed over to their families.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 40% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






























