Appeals court slashes Alex Jones’s Sandy Hook judgment from $50M to $1.5M
The appeals court left compensatory damages intact and said the parents failed to prove evidence for damages above Texas’s $750,000 cap per plaintiff.
- On Friday, the Texas Third Court of Appeals reduced punitive damages against Infowars founder Alex Jones to $1.5 million, while upholding $4.1 million in compensatory damages awarded to Sandy Hook Elementary School parents.
- In a 2022 trial, a jury found Jones and Free Speech Systems liable for defaming Sandy Hook families after he repeatedly claimed the 2012 Newtown, Connecticut, shooting was a 'hoax' perpetrated by 'crisis actors.'
- Judges found the trial court 'abused its discretion' by allowing parents Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis to amend their petition post-verdict, bypassing Texas's $750,000 statutory cap on punitive damages per plaintiff.
- This ruling does not affect the separate $1.4 billion Connecticut judgment against Jones, which remains intact; attorney Mark Bankston called the Texas decision 'irrelevant' given Jones still faces over a billion dollars in total liability.
- Jones vowed to appeal to the Texas Supreme Court to overturn remaining damages, while The Onion pursues acquisition of Infowars assets amid ongoing bankruptcy proceedings that have stalled proposed licensing deals.
213 Articles
213 Articles
Texas Appeals Court Lowers Massive Judgment Against Alex Jones and Infowars
A Texas appeals court has notably diminished a substantial judgment against Alex Jones and Infowars. This decision pertains to claims regarding the tragic events of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The post Texas Appeals Court Lowers Massive Judgment Against Alex Jones and Infowars appeared first on News Addicts.
Appeals Court Significantly Reduces $50 Million Judgement Against Infowars' Alex Jones
A Texas appeals court has reduced a multimillion-dollar judgment against Alex Jones and Free Speech Systems, the company that operated InfoWars, stemming from claims related to the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The Texas Third Court of Appeals issued a unanimous opinion in the case of Jones v. Heslin, which modified the award previously entered by a Travis County trial court. The original judgment arose from a 2022 jury trial on da…
Court slashes Alex Jones’ Sandy Hook judgment by a whopping $43 million · American Wire News
Conspiracy theorist and provocateur extraordinaire Alex Jones just got a slight break in the hefty defamation costs he owes. Four years ago, a Texas jury in Austin awarded Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, the parents of deceased Sandy Hook victim Jesse Lewis, about $50 million total in compensatory and punitive damages for the devastating lies that Jones had told about the Sandy Hook mass shooting. On Friday, the Texas Third Court of Appeals redu…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 55% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium



























![[your]NEWS](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroundnews.b-cdn.net%2Finterests%2Ffb6dc495f74049f513563c33352175eaa0ecd509.jpg%3Fwidth%3D60&w=128&q=75)















