Man Accused of Killing, Dismembering Stepfather Before Hiding Remains in Suitcases
Detectives say Jose L. Proano killed and dismembered his 71-year-old stepfather, then hid the remains in three suitcases, according to the sheriff's office.
- On Wednesday, authorities charged 44-year-old Jose L. Proano with first-degree murder in the death of his 71-year-old stepfather, Jorge Vazquez-Escutia, who was reported missing earlier this week.
- Proano traveled from Northport to Orlando on July 31, citing concern for his mother. Investigators noted a "negative relationship" between the two, with Proano frustrated that Vazquez-Escutia limited his access to his mother.
- Surveillance footage captured a man matching Proano's description climbing over the backyard fence at Hal Court on Sunday, placing what appeared to be human remains into suitcases. Detectives later found three suitcases containing human remains along White Road, including a severed head.
- Following his arrest Wednesday, Proano remains in the Orange County Jail. Authorities stated there are no outstanding suspects and no ongoing threat to the community.
- Investigators noted Proano made several 911 calls requesting welfare checks on family members, which they deemed obsessive. The county medical examiner is conducting autopsies on the remains to confirm identification.
30 Articles
30 Articles
Florida Man Faces Murder Charge After Missing Stepfather Found On The Road In Suitcases - Tampa Free Press
A 44-year-old Florida man faces first-degree murder charges after authorities said he killed and dismembered his 71-year-old stepfather, leaving the remains in three suitcases along a road. Jose L. Proano was arrested Wednesday in the death of Jorge Vazquez-Escutia, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. He is being held without bond. The investigation began […] Florida Man Faces Murder Charge After Missing Stepfather Found On The Road…
Stepson arrested after 71-year-old missing man found dismembered in Central Florida
The dismembered remains of a 71-year-old man who was reported missing on Wednesday were found in suitcases that the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said were left along a road by his stepson, who is now charged with his murder.
‘Nearing the level of obsession’: Man dismembered stepdad, stuffed remains in suitcases he then wheeled away from victim’s home, police say
Inset: Jose L. Proano (Orange County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The area in Florida where Proano allegedly killed his stepfather (Google Maps). A 44-year-old Florida man is accused of killing and dismembering his 71-year-old stepfather before stuffing the victim’s remains into three suitcases and abandoning them along a roadside, authorities said. Jose L. Proano was arrested...
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 73% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


















