Feds Reports Progress on Climate Adaptation but Climate Groups Say It Isn’t Enough
Ottawa says 9 strategy targets were met or exceeded, but the Canadian Climate Institute says the work has not yet cut risk.
- On Friday, the federal government released a progress report on its national climate adaptation strategy, claiming success after spending $2.1 billion over the past four years to improve resilience against flooding, wildfires, and extreme weather.
- Ryan Ness, director of adaptation for the Canadian Climate Institute, criticized the report for painting an "overly optimistic picture of success," arguing there is little evidence initiatives are actually reducing the most critical risks facing Canadians.
- Ness contended Ottawa lacks the data to prove outcomes, while government data suggests 1.5 million homes face flood risks severe enough to make them uninsurable, yet 94 per cent of residents in high-risk areas remain unaware of their vulnerability.
- Press secretary Chris Zhou pointed to Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin's announcement this week of $34 million for 141 climate resilience projects in 128 communities, including cooling stations in Halifax and retrofits in Quebec.
- As Canada faces record-setting wildfire seasons, previous reports from Jerry DeMarco concluded the adaptation strategy stumbled out of the gate, failing to prioritize risks while more than 4 million hectares burned so far this year.
28 Articles
28 Articles
‘Overly optimistic’: Canada climate strategy questioned by expert
What to know Ottawa says it has committed more than $2.1 billion to its National Adaptation Strategy since it launched in 2023. The federal government says it has made “meaningful advancements” in areas including disaster resilience, health, infrastructure, nature and biodiversity. The Canadian Climate Institute says the report focuses too heavily on programs and initiatives rather than evidence that climate risks are actually being reduced. Up…
Feds report progress on climate adaptation but climate groups say it isn’t enough
Three years after it formally launched its national climate adaptation strategy, the federal government says Canadians are more aware of the risks and more resilient to flooding, wildfires and major storms caused by climate change. But an analysis by the Canadian Climate Institute suggests there is little sign any of that work has actually reduced the risks Canadians face. The strategy, finalized in 2023, set out a road map for preparing communi…
Feds reports progress on climate adaptation but climate groups say it isn’t enough
OTTAWA - Three years after it formally launched its national climate adaptation strategy, the federal government says Canadians are more aware of the risks and more resilient to flooding, wildfires
Feds reports progress on climate adaptation but climate groups say it isn't enough
OTTAWA - Three years after it formally launched its national climate adaptation strategy, the federal government says Canadians are more aware of the risks and more resilient to flooding, wildfires and major storms caused by climate change.
Three years after the official launch of its national climate change adaptation strategy, the federal government states that Canadians are more aware of the risks and better prepared to deal with floods, forest fires and major storms caused by climate change.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 76% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium




















