Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
The ministry said the campaign had drawn criticism after a Season 2 episode and will end support for the show.
- On Friday, Japan's Justice Ministry announced it will terminate its partnership with Netflix's dating show "Badly in Love," following public backlash against claims the program glorifies criminal acts.
- The ministry's rehabilitation bureau previously launched the collaboration to highlight personal growth, operating on the belief that "a person can change" while spotlighting Japan's "yankii" subculture.
- Public criticism intensified after a "Badly in Love" Season 2 episode featured a cast member who confessed he set someone on fire to prove he was "not chickening out."
- Officials stated they never intended to "endorse crime or delinquency," though the program will continue airing on Netflix without government support.
- Despite the cancellation, the ministry emphasized it "isn't meant to deny efforts to help rehabilitate people who committed crimes in the past," as the show remains top-ranked in Japan.
11 Articles
11 Articles
Japan’s justice ministry cancels collaboration with Netflix dating show after backlash
Japan’s justice ministry cancels collaboration with Netflix dating show after backlash Click this link for the original source of this article. Author: CBS News This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://www.offthepress.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site...
Earlier this month, the ministry launched an unusual partnership with the streaming giant's series "Badly in Love," releasing a poster featuring the cast of season 2, including several heavily tattooed men. "Badly in Love" shines a spotlight on the Japanese subculture known as "yankii" (delinquents) by bringing together young men and women with troubled and often criminal pasts, including former members of the Japanese mafia (yakuza) and biker …
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
Japan’s justice ministry said Friday it will cancel a collaboration with a controversial Netflix dating show featuring ex-juvenile delinquents, following backlash against what some called the glorification of crimes.
AGI - The Japanese Ministry of Justice has announced the end of the collaboration with a controversial Netflix dating show that has as protagonists former juvenile delinquents, after the polemics aroused by what some critics have defined as a sort of glorification of the crimes. At the beginning of the month the ministry had started an unusual partnership with the colossus of streaming to promote "Badly in Love," publishing a poster dedicated to…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 57% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium












