You are connecting from Lake Geneva Public Library, please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.
Published 2 days ago • loading... • Updated 1 day ago
Family of Go-Go Icon Withdraws Support for ‘Chuck Brown Day’ Ahead of 12th Annual Event
The family says organizers marginalized them for three years and want new leadership before supporting the 12th annual celebration.
The family of Chuck Brown announced on Thursday they are withdrawing support for the 12th Annual Chuck Brown Day, scheduled for Saturday at Fort Dupont Park in Southeast D.C.
Nekos Brown, Chuck Brown's son, said the family notified the Department of Parks and Recreation in February of three years of poor communication and professionalism issues, particularly after the event moved from Chuck Brown Memorial Park.
The family stated they can no longer risk allowing organizers' lack of communication and professionalism to be interpreted as family approval of the event and its management.
DPR Director Thennie Freeman said the District respects the family's decision, but the festival will proceed Saturday; attendance has grown from about 1,000 in its first year to more than 10,000 last year.
While the family has not ruled out future participation, they maintain new leadership and direction are necessary to protect the integrity of the "Godfather of Go-Go" legacy.