Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Colombian president says he asked Trump to suspend tariffs after devastating earthquake

De la Espriella said the move would help business owners as Colombia recovers from a 7.4-magnitude quake that killed nearly 300 people.

  • On Saturday, President Abelardo de la Espriella called on President Donald Trump to temporarily suspend tariffs targeting Colombia as the nation recovers from a deadly 7.4-magnitude earthquake that struck on August 10.
  • The tremor devastated western cities Cali and Pereira, leaving nearly 300 people dead and destroying almost 13,000 homes in the region.
  • US tariffs on Colombian products rose from 10% to 12.5% on July 24, replacing expiring global duties; de la Espriella said these levies burden business owners "facing very difficult times due to the effects of the earthquake."
  • During the 10-minute call, de la Espriella told Trump the conversation was "very friendly and cordial," adding he inherited an "apocalyptic economic situation" from predecessor Gustavo Petro.
  • Since taking office, de la Espriella has joined the "Shield of the Americas," a Trump-headed anti-cartel alliance; he plans to forge a military alliance with the US and Israel to bolster security.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

188 Articles

Lean Left

The new Colombian president posted his request on X on Saturday evening, to which there has been no public reaction from Trump so far.

·Hungary
Read Full Article
Lean Right

The South American country has just been hit by one of the most severe earthquakes of the past decades. So far, there has been no public response to the request from the United States.

·Vienna, Austria
Read Full Article
Lean Left

Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella asked his ally, US President Donald Trump, to suspend tariffs to help the South American country recover from a powerful earthquake that killed at least 289 people.

·Belgrade, Serbia
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 36% of the sources are Center
36% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Le Journal de Quebec broke the news in Quebec City, Canada on Saturday, August 15, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal