Yemen's Mocha port halts operations after Houthi attacks, port director says
The port director said the attacks killed seven people and caused $16 million in losses as commercial and maritime operations were halted.
- Mocha port suspended commercial and maritime operations on Saturday after Houthi forces struck the facility with more than 25 missiles over recent days, the port director said.
- On Friday, Yemen's government reported the Houthis fired six ballistic missiles at the port, killing at least four civilians and targeting civilian, economic, and maritime facilities.
- The port director confirmed seven deaths and an estimated $16 million in losses from the attacks, while the facility remains controlled by Yemen's internationally recognized government.
- Situated near the Bab Mandab strait, Mocha serves as a strategic Red Sea chokepoint connecting the Gulf of Aden, though it maintains smaller cargo capacity than Aden and Hodeidah.
- The Houthis claimed the strikes targeted a military build-up by Saudi-backed forces, escalating tensions amid a stalled UN-brokered truce and broader regional conflict involving Iran.
38 Articles
38 Articles
Seven dead and $16 million in damage – The escalation extends the threat from passing ships to port infrastructure and removes the prospect of normalizing routes through Bab el-Mandeb and Suez
'Everyone lives in fear': Yemenis worry about return to all-out war
Hodeida native Anwar, a father of two, recalls fleeing the advance of the Iran-backed Houthis, seeking refuge in the city of Mokha. Last week, explosions startled him and his children as the rebels hit Mokha port, reviving fears of another cycle of displacement and violence. "I do not want our lives to be haunted by constant panic caused by Houthi terror. Mokha used to be a safe city and a haven for many Yemenis," he told AFP. "The hardest part …
Yemen's Mokha Port Halted After More Than 25 Houthi StrikesThe port of Mokha on the Red Sea suspended operations after more than 25 missile strikes that killed 7 people. Losses are estimated at $16 million, The port is controlled by the government of Yemen.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 40% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
























