Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Will the US military strike Iran this weekend? Have the talks to achieve diplomacy failed?

US forces in the Middle East are positioned to strike Iran’s nuclear and missile sites this weekend while diplomatic talks in Geneva continue, with 13 warships deployed, officials said.

  • President Donald Trump is weighing a decision this weekend as strikes could come as early as this weekend, but he has not yet authorised military action.
  • On Tuesday in Geneva, negotiators agreed to work on draft texts and `guiding principles`, Iranian officials said, while White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt noted only `a little bit of progress` and that sides remain `still very far apart on some issues`.
  • Washington has positioned 13 US warships in the Middle East, including the USS Abraham Lincoln, while the USS Gerald R. Ford is moving toward the region with three destroyers and deployed fighter jets plus KC-135 refuelling tankers and E3 Sentry surveillance planes.
  • Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said coordination is close after last week’s White House visit, and analysts say a limited strike may not cause prolonged disruption as Iran is expected to retaliate.
  • After strikes last June that derailed talks, the administration remains posture-ready as political pressure and warnings after Iran's crackdown earlier this year shape Washington's stance.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

66 Articles

Lean Right

After the failure – in the American perspective – of the peace talks in Geneva this week, the decision to return or not to bomb Iran is now in the hands of President Donald Trump. All military means to do so are already in the vicinity of the Persian country. According to the sources cited by the US press, the decision may be to press the button, and it would take place this weekend, probably on Saturday. There is a recent precedent: the 12 days…

·Spain
Read Full Article
Lean Left

The U.S. military is ready to attack Iran this weekend, although President Donald Trump has not yet made a final decision on whether to authorize such actions, CNN and The New York Times reported Thursday. The White House has been informed that the army might be ready for an attack on the weekend, after a significant increase in air and naval assets in the Middle East in recent days, CNN says, citing sources familiar with the issue. Continue rea…

·Spain
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 40% of the sources are Center
40% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

elsiglodetorreon.com.mx broke the news in on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal