Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

US, South Korean Militaries Wrapping up Drills Early, a Day After North Korea's Missile Barrage

The launch followed an early end to the drills after President Donald Trump ordered a 50% cut in U.S. participation, officials said.

  • On Friday, U.S. and South Korean militaries concluded the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills six days early, following President Donald Trump's order to "substantially reduce" participation as a diplomatic gesture toward North Korea.
  • North Korea launched about 10 short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday, while Kim Jong Un's sister, Kim Yo Jong, dismissed the drill reduction as "completely uninteresting" and maintained the exercises remain provocative.
  • Denying her brother responded to Trump's outreach, Kim Yo Jong claimed the relationship remains "excellent" while stating personal ties "can't be a factor that moves current North Korean-U.S. relations."
  • Analysis by Kim Dong-yub, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies, suggests the statement aims to preempt diplomatic speculation while Pyongyang leverages its nuclear arsenal and Russia ties.
  • Ewha University professor Leif-Eric Easley suggests Kim may eventually seek benefits from Washington, though negotiations likely depend on U.S. midterm elections when the administration might pursue headline-grabbing foreign policies.
Insights by Ground AI

46 Articles

Spectrum Local NewsSpectrum Local News
+3 Reposted by 3 other sources
Center

U.S., South Korean militaries wrap up drill early, after North Korea's barrage

Trump had earlier abruptly ordered the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise just before it began Monday.

·United States
Read Full Article
Lean Left

The US and South Korean militaries ended their annual military exercises today six days earlier than originally planned, in a gesture of reconciliation with North Korea, although Pyongyang said the move was not enough to return to talks.

·Belgrade, Serbia
Read Full Article
PerthNowPerthNow
+4 Reposted by 4 other sources
Center

US and South Korean militaries wrap up drill early

US-South Korean military exercises have ended days earlier than planned in a seemingly failed bid by Donald Trump to persuade the North to return to talks.

·Osborne Park, Australia
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 50% of the sources are Center
50% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

North Korea Times broke the news in Sydney, Australia on Thursday, August 20, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal