U.S. partially resumes avocado inspections in Mexico
The embassy said inspections will resume in some towns after a security suspension disrupted export clearances, while Mexico deployed more than 1,500 soldiers and National Guard personnel.
- The United States Embassy announced on Friday that official activities will partially resume in Michoacan's "avocado belt" on Saturday, easing a suspension that had halted critical export inspections due to security concerns.
- Security threats prompted the United States to suspend government operations on Wednesday, halting avocado export inspections after violence linked to the arrest of alleged cartel leader Alfonso Fernandez Magallon.
- President Claudia Sheinbaum said Mexico is coordinating with the Embassy to guarantee safety, with more than 1,500 soldiers and National Guard personnel deployed to the region.
- The Mexican Hass Avocado Association stated on Thursday that the brief pause is not expected to significantly impact near-term sales, as existing inventories should meet United States demand.
- United States avocado inspections were also temporarily suspended in 2022 and 2024 following similar security incidents. The Embassy stated it will continue to evaluate conditions and adjust operations as appropriate.
60 Articles
60 Articles
The United States agreed to partially resume the avocado inspection in the western state of Michoacán, which had been suspended in the middle of the week due to threats against US interests, leading to the cessation of fruit exports.
Most avocado exports to the US have resumed after last week’s suspension
Approximately 75% of avocado packing facilities in Mexico’s Michoacán state have been cleared for export following a pause in the avocado trade with the United States over security concerns, Julio Berdegué, Mexico’s advisor for international agri-food affairs and strategic issues under the USMCA, announced on Saturday. The re-approved facilities handle roughly 85% of Michoacán’s avocado exports and the rest will be restored soon, according to B…
President Claudia Sheinbaum reported that the U.S. suspended inspections to export avocado from Michoacán after some of its inspectors were threatened. However, she reproached the U.S. authorities for taking the decision to launch an alert and withdraw their personnel without prior warning to the Mexican Government. "What they raised, which they did not report previously, is that some of these inspectors had had threats," she said, not to mentio…
US Restarts Avocado Checks in Michoacán After Security Deal
The US has partially resumed avocado inspections in Michoacán after a three-day security suspension, restoring a trade worth billions and calming market fears. The post US Restarts Avocado Checks in Michoacán After Security Deal appeared first on The Rio Times.
Mexico has deployed more than 1,500 soldiers to protect avocado exports. The United States has suspended inspections due to criminal organizations.
The inspections carried out by U.S. officials for the verification of avocados resumed yesterday in five municipalities of Michoacán, confirmed the Association of Producers and Packers of Avocado de México (APEAM).
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 36% of the sources are Center, 36% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






























