Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history
The vote gives musicians leverage as talks stall over pay, benefits and artistic control, while a strike would be the orchestra’s first in 145 years.
- On Saturday, Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians voted unanimously to authorize their first-ever strike, gaining leverage as the current three-year labor contract expires at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday.
- Deep divisions have complicated contract negotiations since the board abruptly announced in March that Music Director Andris Nelsons would not have his contract renewed, citing they "were not aligned on future vision."
- The Boston Musicians Association, representing the orchestra's 94 players, reports that BSO management declined their proposal to engage a professional mediator, stalling negotiations over wages, healthcare, and artistic decision-making.
- BSO President and CEO Chad Smith called the authorization "part of the negotiating process" and stated the organization is "committed to reaching an agreement with competitive pay and benefits" for players.
- A potential walkout would be the first in the organization's 145-year history, threatening to disrupt the 146th season opening on September 17 with star cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
16 Articles
16 Articles
Boston Symphony Orchestra and musicians extend contract for 48 hours, delaying possible first strike
The Boston Musicians’ Association said Saturday it had authorized a strike ahead of the expiration of the union’s three-year contract at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. The BSO said Sunday the contract had been extended to 11:59 p.m. Tuesday. The post Boston Symphony Orchestra and musicians extend contract for 48 hours, delaying possible first strike appeared first on Boston.com.
Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history
LENOX, Mass. (AP) — The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorized the first strike in the ensemble's 145-year history on Saturday.
Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble's 145-year history
The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians has authorized the first strike in the ensemble's 145-year history.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Left, 50% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
















