Ukraine's sacked defence minister Fedorov calls for wartime presidential elections
Fedorov said Ukraine needs a legal way to restore democracy while war continues, calling corruption and resistance to reform a threat to the war effort.
- On Tuesday, Mykhailo Fedorov called for wartime elections in a YouTube address, marking the biggest internal challenge to President Volodymyr Zelenskiy since 2022.
- The 35-year-old Fedorov was fired in July, just six months after his appointment, an action he believes resulted from his overhaul of defence ministry procurement processes.
- Alleging a "systemic crisis of governance," Fedorov criticized official corruption, stating, "The old system lives by its own rules too often. It is scared of change."
- Arguing that "democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia," Fedorov demanded a "legal, safe and realistic mechanism" to renew Ukraine's democratic process during the long-running war.
- Ukrainian law currently prohibits holding elections during wartime, and President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's office has provided no immediate comment on Fedorov's public statement.
233 Articles
233 Articles
Zelensky's fired defense minister demands new elections
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky’s former defense minister, Mykhailo Fedorov, demanded the country hold new elections, mounting a direct political challenge to his former boss. Fedorov served as defense minister from January to July, when Zelensky fired him as part of a government shake-up. He distinguished himself as a young, media-savvy, public-facing technocrat who sought to transition the country’s military rapidly into a drone-centere…
Former Ukrainian Defense Minister Fedorov Challenges Zelensky, Calls for Wartime Presidential Elections * The Gateway Pundit * by Paul Serran
Zelensky’s mandate ended way back in May 2024. The post Former Ukrainian Defense Minister Fedorov Challenges Zelensky, Calls for Wartime Presidential Elections appeared first on The Gateway Pundit.
The dismissal of the popular minister has triggered the biggest crisis in Selensky's term of office. Fedorov's appearance on Tuesday evening has brought this to a new level.
The 35-year-old former Defense Minister of Ukraine Mykhailo Fedorov became the first in the country to openly challenge the current president and ignited a firestorm - The rise in the polls puts him in the running, but there is a key question: how feasible it is to hold elections immediately
Former Ukrainian Defense Minister Fedorov spoke out for new elections even in times of the Russian war of aggression. Democracy should not be taken hostage by Russia, the 35-year-old said in a video message. The state must find a "legal, secure and realistic mechanism" for an Urngang despite the ongoing war. Fedorov had been released as part of a government reconstruction.
As Minister of Defense of Ukraine, Mychaylo Fedorov had to leave surprisingly after only half a year. Now the popular politician calls for new elections and even irritates allies with a video.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 36% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium









































