You are connecting from Lake Geneva Public Library, please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.
Published 2 days ago • loading... • Updated 22 hours ago
Trump Says He Will Give His Take on Flock Cameras in the Next Few Weeks
Trump said the cameras are being studied as Flock Safety faces privacy scrutiny and reports of misuse involving 46 cases by police, according to The Washington Post.
On Monday, President Donald Trump stated his administration is reviewing Flock Safety cameras and will announce his stance in the coming weeks. "Well, it's being studied right now," Trump said when asked about the controversial technology.
Privacy concerns have intensified following reports that police officers allegedly misused the camera system in 46 cases for personal reasons. Critics describe the technology as "passive, mass surveillance" that captures data on innocent drivers.
In response to backlash, Flock Safety CEO Garrett Langley announced safety changes last week, reducing default data retention from 30 days to 7 days and requiring officers to input specific case codes for all vehicle searches.
The Livingston Parish Council is considering an ordinance banning privately owned cameras on parish rights-of-way. Council Member Ryan Chavers, who proposed the measure, stated, "Whatever has to be done to protect our privacy."
While critics emphasize privacy concerns, supporters highlight Flock's public safety record: the cameras helped solve 22,000 stolen vehicle cases in July alone and operate across more than 120,000 active locations in 49 states.