Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Trump official says US did not censor Colbert interview but is probing ABC's 'The View'

FCC Chair Brendan Carr confirmed an investigation into ABC's The View for possible equal-time rule violations after Texas Democrat James Talarico's interview boosted fundraising by $2.5 million.

  • On Wednesday, FCC Chairman Brendan Carr announced an enforcement action into ABC's The View after it featured James Talarico earlier this month.
  • Last month, the FCC issued guidance saying talk shows can no longer assume they are exempt from the bona fide news exemption based on longstanding practice, revisiting the Jay Leno interview precedent.
  • Under the new approach, networks must file petitions for a bona fide news exemption before interviews or create political files for rivals to request equal time.
  • Fox News reported earlier this month The View was under investigation, and Talarico's campaign reported raising $2.5 million since the Colbert interview, which drew nearly 6 million YouTube views.
  • Anna Gomez, Democratic FCC Commissioner, said the guidance violates broadcasters' free-speech rights, while CBS disputed Colbert's claim, saying legal advice warned the broadcast could trigger equal-time for two candidates.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

28 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 46% of the sources are Center
46% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Reuters broke the news in United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal