Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Tonko says Trump's resistance to offshore wind is stifling economic development

Tonko said the administration’s $1.2 billion RWE buyout could undercut steel, port and union work tied to offshore wind projects.

  • U.S. Rep. Paul Tonko warned Thursday that the Trump administration's strategy of buying out offshore wind leases threatens New York jobs, with the government paying developers nearly $4 billion to terminate projects.
  • President Donald Trump's administration paid German energy company RWE more than $1.2 billion last week to abandon offshore wind projects, including a 2,000-megawatt wind farm south of Louisiana.
  • "It's an outright attempt to kill clean energy renewable projects," Tonko said, while advocates argue the sector could boost steel production and union leaders noted past projects generated significant worker funding.
  • Companies in the Capital Region with access to New York Harbor through the Hudson River could miss opportunities if development stalls, according to Eric Brugeman, business manager for Iron Workers Local 12.
  • Trump has opposed wind energy since at least 2006, citing concerns about coastal views; he recently stated, "We'll have hopefully no wind farms approved," as his administration continues restricting projects across the United States.
Insights by Ground AI

11 Articles

Journal Gazette & Times-CourierJournal Gazette & Times-Courier
+5 Reposted by 5 other sources
Center

Canceling wind projects wrong

President Donald Trump's weird hatred of offshore wind energy is costing a lot as Uncle Sam has to pay off the companies which had invested in the canceled projects.

Los Angeles TimesLos Angeles Times
Reposted by
Independent EspañolIndependent Español
Lean Left

President Donald Trump's government has been working to paralyze the development of offshore wind farms since the end of last year, arguing that they pose a risk to the security of the United States.

·El Segundo, United States
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 70% of the sources are Center
70% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Spectrum Local News broke the news in United States on Thursday, August 13, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal