Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Taiwan says it has not been told by US of changes to military sales

Taipei says it has not received notice of any change, as Washington weighs a reported $14 billion arms package for Taiwan.

  • On Friday, Taiwan's Presidential Office spokesperson Karen Kuo said the government received no notice of U.S. arms sales changes, stating, "We have not received any relevant information about the U.S. adjusting sales."
  • During a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing Thursday, U.S. Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao suggested a temporary pause in foreign arms sales, explaining the need to secure munitions for "Epic Fury" operations against Iran.
  • Taiwan awaits approval for an arms package potentially worth up to $14 billion, with final decisions resting with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
  • Following a summit with China's Jinping in Beijing last week, President Donald Trump remains undecided on whether to approve the package, while China continues calling for the U.S. to stop arms sales.
  • The U.S. is legally bound to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself; despite Beijing's sovereignty claims, the Taiwanese government maintains that only the Taiwanese people can decide their future.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

48 Articles

The Daily AdvanceThe Daily Advance
+5 Reposted by 5 other sources
Center

Taiwan's government says US hasn't notified it of any pause in a planned $14B arms sale

Taiwan's government says it hasn't been notified of any pause in a planned $14 billion U.S. arms sale to the self-governing island. The acting U.S. Navy Secretary Hung Cao told a U.S. Senate committee in Washington on Thursday that some…

FOX13newsFOX13news
+6 Reposted by 6 other sources
Center

US still planning on $14 billion arms sale to Taiwan, officials say

Taiwan officials said they didn't receive notice of a delay on its multi-billion-dollar U.S. arms package, amid a report that the massive weapons transfer is temporarily on hold to prioritize U.S. munitions needs for the war in Iran.

·Florida, United States
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 51% of the sources are Center
51% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Al-Monitor broke the news in Washington, United States on Friday, May 22, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal