US Supreme Court won't halt $655 million judgment against Palestinians over attacks
The plaintiffs say enforcing the award would drain Palestinian tax revenues and disrupt West Bank services as the appeal continues.
- On Monday, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor refused to halt a $656 million judgment against the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Palestinian Authority in a long-running lawsuit filed by Americans killed or wounded in attacks in Israel.
- Families brought the lawsuit under the Anti-Terrorism Act, seeking damages for attacks in Jerusalem during the early 2000s that killed 33 people and wounded hundreds more.
- The Manhattan-based 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals reinstated the verdict following the Supreme Court's 9-0 decision last year to uphold the 2019 Promoting Security and Justice for Victims of Terrorism Act.
- Palestinian authorities argued the judgment is a "nullity" and warned that enforcing the $656 million payout would destabilize essential services in the West Bank, where operations "are hanging by a thread."
- Plaintiffs intend to seek payment from indirect Palestinian tax revenue collected by Israel, while attorneys for the families said the decision allows "justice to be done" after a long legal process.
42 Articles
42 Articles
Supreme Court clears path to $655 million seizure as West Bank braces for fiscal reckoning
The West Bank is crumbling and the US Supreme Court just landed a huge financial blow to their crumbling financial system. The US Supreme Court is advancing a $655.5 million judgment tied to a string of deadly attacks carried out during the Second Intifada. The ruling, issued Monday by Justice Sonia Sotomayor without explanation or […]
'Collective punishment': US Supreme Court greenlights $656m judgement against Palestinian officials
'Collective punishment': US Supreme Court greenlights $656m judgement against Palestinian officials The US Supreme Court has refused to freeze a $656m judgement against the Palestinian Authority (PA) and the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) after the two groups said they were too cash-strapped to compensate Americans for attacks in Israel during the Second Intifada. The decision was announced on Monday by Justice Sonia Sotomayor, a liber…
Supreme Court deals another blow to Palestinian authorities in $656 million case for American terror victims
Source link The Palestinian Liberation Organization and the Palestinian Authority lost again at the Supreme Court, this time in their effort to stop a settlement to pay American victims of attacks. Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Monday signed an order rejecting an emergency application from the Palestinian authorities to stop a $656 million judgment in favor
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 46% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
































