Carney touts 'substantial progress' after Trump delays tariffs for three days
The pause covers 50% levies on about $28 billion in goods as Canada and the United States continue talks over metals, autos and lumber.
- On Tuesday, President Donald Trump announced a three-day delay on planned 50% tariffs against Canada, citing a tentative deal between the two nations.
- President Trump originally announced the 50% tariffs in July under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, claiming the levies would level the playing field for American exports like cars, alcohol, and dairy.
- Roughly $28 billion worth of Canadian imports would have been targeted by the 50% levies, intensifying a tit-for-tat trade battle between the United States and Canada that has persisted since last year.
- Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney stated that substantial progress has been made, although important work remains; The United States Trade Representative noted the deal includes comprehensive market access for American goods and digital trade alignment.
- The United States agreed to postpone the 50% tariffs until end of day, August 21st, as both nations continue intensive discussions to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty for Canadian businesses and workers.
8 Articles
8 Articles
Carney touts 'substantial progress' after Trump delays tariffs for three days
WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday a last-minute deal to delay new tariffs from slamming an array of Canadian products for three days.
Carney vows to build 'stronger, more competitive economy’ in statement about Trump pausing tariffs
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney issued a statement on Tuesday night about President Donald Trump’s decision to postpone 50% tariffs on Canada. He explained that both countries have made significant progress toward an agreement, but there was still work to be done. He also vowed to build a stronger and more competitive Canadian economy. “Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to addre…
Prime Minister Carney says ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs
Prime Minister Mark Carney says there has been "substantial progress" after U.S. President Donald Trump announced a temporary suspension of new tariffs that were set to hit Canada just after midnight. "Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," Carney s…
Carney touts 'substantial progress' after Trump delays tariffs
UPDATE: 8:41 p.m. Prime Minister Mark Carney says there has been "substantial progress" after U.S. President Donald Trump announced he would delay for three days new tariffs that were set to hit Canada just after midnight.
Prime Minister Mark Carney said that "substantial progress" had been made after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that he would postpone the coming into force of the new tariffs that would apply in Canada just after midnight by three days.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 34% of the sources lean Left, 33% of the sources are Center, 33% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium











