Starlink Shutdown Hits Russia, Fuels Ukrainian Advances
Ukrainian forces regained 201 sq km mainly east of Zaporizhzhia after Starlink communications for Russian troops were disrupted, causing command and control issues, ISW data shows.
- On February 17, 2026, Ukrainian armed forces recaptured 201 sq km of territory between Wednesday and Sunday last week, AFP analysis of Institute for the Study of War battlefield data reported.
- On 5 February, observers recorded a Starlink antenna disruption after Elon Musk announced 'measures' restricting Kremlin use, and analysts at ISW said Ukrainian counterattacks likely exploited the resulting communication problems.
- Around 80 km east of Zaporizhzhia, Ukrainian commanders reported Russian assault operations declined for three to four days after the Starlink shutdown, improving battlefield ratios.
- Ukrainian intelligence expects more Russian attacks on energy, and Volodymyr Zelenskyy, President of Ukraine, warned of this in his Monday address while Rustem Umerov, head of Ukraine's negotiating team, arrived in Geneva for talks.
- Despite tactical setbacks for Russia, ISW data show Rubikon drone unit activity declined after Feb. 1, yet Moscow still controls around 19.5% of Ukrainian territory.
13 Articles
13 Articles
At the beginning of the month, SpaceX blocked access to the Internet system Starlink for Moscow's armed forces. Now, there should be first concrete effects on the front. Why was Starlink blocked - and what significance does that have?
Musk Blocks Illegal Starlink Terminals, Russian Forces 'Left Blind And Deaf On The Battlefield'
NEW YORK (VINnews) — A dramatic move by Elon Musk is reshaping the battlefield in Ukraine: SpaceX has recently begun an unprecedented campaign to block Starlink terminals allegedly used illegally by the Russian military in occupied territories. The sudden disruption of the satellite communications network led to what was described as a near-total paralysis of […]
Starlink restrictions are hitting Russian battlefield comms: report
SpaceX’s decision to disable unauthorized Starlink terminals in Ukraine is now being felt on the battlefield, with Ukrainian commanders reporting that Russian troops have struggled to maintain assault operations without access to the satellite network. The restrictions have reportedly disrupted Moscow’s drone coordination and frontline communications. Lt. Denis Yaroslavsky, who commands a special reconnaissance unit, stated that Russian assault…
SpaceX Shuts Down Russian Starlink Access, Dealing Moscow Battlefield Blow
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief (Worthy News) – A decision by Elon Musk’s SpaceX to block Russia’s unauthorized use of Starlink may prove to be more than a tactical disruption — it could mark a turning point in the war. Ukrainian commanders and Western intelligence officials told the New York Post that the move has already dealt Moscow a significant operational setback, potentially accelerating conditions that could pus…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 71% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium











