Four of the South Africans 'Lured' to Fight for Russia Have Returned Home: Reports
The men were reportedly deceived into joining Russian forces in Ukraine’s Donbas region; South Africa investigates recruitment amid a wider conflict involving thousands of foreign fighters.
- On Feb 18, four South African men landed at O.R. Tambo International Airport after returning from Ukraine, and the South African Broadcasting Corporation showed them arriving before police took them to a holding area.
- Pretoria said in November it received distress calls from 17 men tricked into joining mercenary forces, while South African media linked their training to the MK party and a Zuma family resignation.
- The foreign ministry did not immediately respond after the police were waiting at O.R. Tambo International Airport, and a police spokesperson declined comment.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa spoke with Russian President Vladimir Putin earlier this month and the South African presidency said the process to secure releases is still ongoing; South African law forbids unauthorised military assistance.
- Ukraine's Centre for Countering Disinformation reports Moscow recruited at least 18 000 fighters from 128 countries, and an AFP investigation found Kenyans recently returned said recruiters deceived them, while Kyiv holds foreign prisoners.
12 Articles
12 Articles
Four of the 17 men caught in Russia-Ukraine war back in South Africa – The Mail & Guardian
Four of the 17 South African men who were allegedly lured into the Russia-Ukraine war with false promises of jobs returned to the country on Wednesday, landing at O.R. Tambo International Airport where they were then whisked away by police, public broadcaster SABC reported. This comes after President Cyril Ramaphosa last week raised the matter directly with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in a telephone conversation, with the latter pled…
Four South Africans fighting for Russia return home
Four South African men lured into fighting for Russian forces in Ukraine returned home on Wednesday, local media said. Their arrival comes days after South African President Cyril Ramaphosa held talks with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, on the return of South Africans caught up in the Ukraine war. It was not immediately clear if the four were part of a group of 17 men the presidency previously said it was trying to bring home. Escorted…
Four South Africans lured into fighting for Russia in Ukraine return home, SABC reports
JOHANNESBURG, Feb 18 - Four South African men who were lured into fighting alongside Russian forces in Ukraine landed at Johannesburg's main airport on Wednesday, public broadcaster the South African Broadcasting Corporation reported. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 67% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium








