Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Food aid in Somalia could halt within weeks due to funding shortages, WFP warns

Funding cuts have reduced emergency food aid to 600,000 people, leaving one in seven in need supported, with severe hunger affecting nearly 1 million, the WFP reports.

  • On Friday, the World Food Programme warned life‑saving emergency food and nutrition assistance in Somalia could be forced to a halt by April as the country faces one of the most complex hunger crises in recent years.
  • The WFP said the crisis is driven by one failed rainy season, conflict and a sharp drop in humanitarian funding, reflecting Somalia’s climate vulnerability.
  • Emergency aid has fallen from 2.2 million in early 2025 to about 600,000, while nutrition programmes dropped from nearly 400,000 in October last year to 90,000, the WFP says.
  • Without immediate emergency food support, the WFP warned conditions will worsen quickly and the most vulnerable—mostly women and children—may be unreachable in time, with 4.4 million people facing crisis‑level food insecurity.
  • Taken together, MSF and the WFP warn of wider regional consequences as rising preventable child illnesses last month coincide with the WFP’s caution of devastating humanitarian, security and economic consequences beyond Somalia.
Insights by Ground AI

13 Articles

Lean Left

Almost a million women, men and children suffer from "severe hunger", according to the UN agency. The United States had announced in early January that all its "aid programs" in Somalia would be suspended.

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 56% of the sources lean Left
56% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Straits Times broke the news in Singapore on Friday, February 20, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal