Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Six Americans Exposed to Ebola in DRC

At least six Americans were exposed, and one doctor was evacuated to Germany as Congo’s rare Bundibugyo outbreak topped 100 deaths, officials said.

  • The World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, with over 300 suspected cases and 118 deaths reported across Congo and Uganda by Monday.
  • Congolese health officials confirmed the rare Bundibugyo strain on May 14 following a delayed response, after initial tests for the Zaire strain returned negative; the first death occurred on April 24 in Bunia.
  • An American doctor is among the newly confirmed cases in the outbreak, which has no approved vaccines or therapeutics; CBS News reported on Sunday that at least six Americans have been exposed to the virus in Congo.
  • Rwanda closed its land border with Congo on Sunday as Africa CDC chief Dr. Jean Kaseya told Sky News he is in "panic mode" due to lack of medicines, while the U.S. activated Title 42 containment measures.
  • Eastern Congo, where Ituri has over 273 displaced people, already grapples with a humanitarian crisis and armed groups, complicating containment efforts more than 620 miles from Kinshasa.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

258 Articles

The physician had been infected with the Ebola virus during treatment in a hospital in the Congo. Charité specializes in the care of patients with highly contagious life-threatening infectious diseases.

·Munich, Germany
Read Full Article
Center

The American citizen who contracted the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) will be admitted to a specialized section of the Berlin Charity Hospital, the German Ministry of Health, quoted by AFP, announced on Tuesday.

·Romania
Read Full Article
Lean Right

The number of cases in the Ebola outbreak in Congo is rising rapidly. A US-American infected with the virus is to be supplied in Germany.

·Düsseldorf, Germany
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 65% of the sources are Center
65% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Washington Post broke the news on Sunday, May 17, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal