Six Americans Exposed to Ebola in DRC
The CDC is coordinating treatment and monitoring as the rare Bundibugyo strain has killed at least 80 people and prompted a global health emergency, officials said.
- The World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, with over 300 suspected cases and 118 deaths reported across Congo and Uganda by Monday.
- Congolese health officials confirmed the rare Bundibugyo strain on May 14 following a delayed response, after initial tests for the Zaire strain returned negative; the first death occurred on April 24 in Bunia.
- An American doctor is among the newly confirmed cases in the outbreak, which has no approved vaccines or therapeutics; CBS News reported on Sunday that at least six Americans have been exposed to the virus in Congo.
- Rwanda closed its land border with Congo on Sunday as Africa CDC chief Dr. Jean Kaseya told Sky News he is in "panic mode" due to lack of medicines, while the U.S. activated Title 42 containment measures.
- Eastern Congo, where Ituri has over 273 displaced people, already grapples with a humanitarian crisis and armed groups, complicating containment efforts more than 620 miles from Kinshasa.
174 Articles
174 Articles
The American doctor infected with the Ebola virus is being treated in Germany, US authorities reported. The doctor worked in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and tested positive late Sunday evening, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
An American physician has infected himself with Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo and is to be flown to Germany for treatment – as well as six contact persons with a high risk of infection. Meanwhile, the number of fatalities continues to rise.
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American infected
The United States said Monday it is bolstering precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola, including screening air travelers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services. The measures shared by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) come as the World Health Organization has declared the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) an international health emergency. In a briefing, Satish Pil…
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
US announces airport screenings for Ebola, one American infected
WASHINGTON, United States: The United States announced Monday it is bolstering precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola, including screening air travelers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services. The public health measures shared by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) come as the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the
Epidemiologist Maximilian Gertler described the so far known extent of the Ebola epidemic in Congo as "extremely worrying". However, he estimated that the risk of introduction to Germany was low.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 66% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






















![[your]NEWS](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroundnews.b-cdn.net%2Finterests%2Ffb6dc495f74049f513563c33352175eaa0ecd509.jpg%3Fwidth%3D60&w=128&q=75)









