Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Celtic Ace 'Wants to Join' Everton as Parkhead Pal Told to Take Premier League Plunge

Everton have contacted Celtic over the Canada defender, but the clubs have not agreed a fee as talks continue.

  • On Friday, Celtic manager Martin O'Neill confirmed that Everton boss David Moyes contacted him regarding right-back Alistair Johnston, who has told Celtic he wants to join the Premier League club.
  • Everton is actively seeking a new right-back following the retirement of club legend Seamus Coleman, who spent 17 years on Merseyside, after previously deploying center-back Jake O'Brien in the position.
  • Celtic remains firm in their valuation, reportedly holding out for a fee upwards of £15 million for the 27-year-old, while aiming to retain Johnston until after their Champions League play-off against LASK.
  • Negotiations have stalled as Everton failed to meet the asking price, prompting the Toffees to explore alternatives; reports suggest the club is considering Strasbourg defender Guela Doue.
  • Former Everton winger Anders Limpar has advised the club to pursue Celtic midfielder Benjamin Nygren alongside Johnston, citing the Swede's 21-goal output last season as evidence of readiness for the Premier League.
Insights by Ground AI

12 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 75% of the sources are Center
75% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Liverpool Echo broke the news in Liverpool, United Kingdom on Thursday, August 6, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal