Trump Hints at Possible Action Against Cuba After Castro Indictment
Trump and Marco Rubio said the administration prefers talks, but U.S. officials again raised the option of force after an indictment over the 1996 shootdown.
- On Thursday, President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio renewed threats of military intervention in Cuba, escalating pressure a day after federal prosecutors unsealed an indictment against former leader Raúl Castro.
- Trump previously ordered an energy blockade that triggered severe economic collapse across Cuba, pledging a "friendly takeover" if the island refused to open its economy to American investment and remove U.S. adversaries.
- Rubio expressed doubt that the U.S. could reach a diplomatic resolution with Cuba's current government, citing its ties to American adversaries, yet noted "the president always has the option to do whatever it takes to support and protect the national interest."
- The U.S. Southern Command deployed the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier to the Caribbean Sea on the same day the indictment was announced, while Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun stated China "firmly supports Cuba in safeguarding its national sovereignty."
- Observers see parallels to the January military operation that captured then-Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, though officials remain tight-lipped on how the U.S. might implement the indictment as Castro approaches age 95 next month.
62 Articles
62 Articles
Trump Renews Threat to Cuba as Rubio Calls Deal Unlikely
President Trump and America's top diplomat on Thursday again raised the specter of US military intervention in Cuba, a renewed threat that takes on greater weight a day after the administration announced criminal charges against the island's former leader, Raúl Castro. Trump said previous US presidents have considered intervening in...
Trump Hints at Intervention in Cuba Following Indictment of Castro
President Donald Trump indicated on May 21 that he planned to intervene in Cuba following the indictment of former communist revolutionary leader Raúl Castro as the United States continues to put economic pressure on the Cuban regime. Trump said the Caribbean nation was a “failed country” when taking questions during a press conference at the Oval Office. “Other presidents have looked at this for 50, 60 years doing something, and it looks like I…
Rubio questions Cuba diplomatic path as Trump raises prospect of military action
US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Thursday renewed suggestions of possible military action against Cuba, a threat amplified by Washington's criminal charges a day earlier against former Cuban leader Raúl Castro. Trump said US presidents had long considered intervention and suggested he could be the one to pursue it.
Trump raises new threat of military action against Cuba
President Donald Trump and America's top diplomat have again raised the spectre of US military intervention in Cuba, a renewed threat that takes on greater weight a day after the administration announced criminal charges against the island's former leader, Raúl Castro.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 59% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium





















