Mass killer had no specific target, was 'hunting' in Tumbler Ridge school: RCMP
RCMP released the suspect's image to correct misinformation and urged sharing only verified details amid ongoing investigations into the mass shooting.
- On Tuesday, Jesse Van Rootselaar, 18-year-old suspect, killed family members at the home before entering Tumbler Ridge Secondary School, where six people—five children aged 12 and 13 and an education assistant—were dead.
- Authorities said the killer was not targeting specific people and was instead 'hunting,' engaging anyone she encountered, according to RCMP investigators.
- Police have interviewed more than 80 students, educators and first responders; two children remain seriously injured and hospitalized while four guns were seized, two from the family home and two from the school.
- Forensic work is underway at the school and autopsies on the eight victims and the shooter are expected by the end of the weekend, while Prime Minister Mark Carney and other national leaders attended the community memorial site in Tumbler Ridge.
- RCMP says the primary shotgun used at the school had never been seized, and investigators are trying to identify its owner and the source of all four firearms used earlier this week.
56 Articles
56 Articles
'Hateful narratives': Misinformation surges after Tumbler Ridge mass shooting
The Tumbler Ridge mass shooting didn’t just devastate a community, it sparked a flurry of false information about the shooter online, sweeping up innocent people and leaving some struggling to cope, experts say.
The Royal Canadian Gendarmerie reveals that the author of Tumbler Ridge's killing was not aimed specifically at anyone, but was "hunting" the author of Tumbler Ridge's killing, who made eight
Tumbler Ridge School Shooter Was ‘Hunting’ in Random Attack, RCMP Say in Update
RCMP Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald says the shooting at the Tumbler Ridge Secondary School wasn’t targeted. “In speaking with investigators, there was no specific targeting of any individuals,” McDonald said in an update on Feb. 13. “This suspect was, for lack of a better term, hunting. They were prepared and engaging anybody and everybody they could come in contact with.” The shooting claimed the lives of eight victims at the school and a…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 77% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






















