Philippine president says he has yet to decide who to back as successor
Marcos says he will back the best possible candidate but has not begun talks as early 2028 surveys remain speculative, he said.
- On Friday, Aug. 14, President Marcos stated it is too early to endorse a candidate for the 2028 elections. Speaking at a Manila luncheon, he confirmed his intent to back the "best possible candidate" but remains undecided.
- The Partido Federal ng Pilipinas plans to forge alliances with other political groups to determine whether to field joint candidates or their own slate. President Marcos emphasized that discussions regarding the 2028 presidential race remain purely speculative.
- Recent OCTA Research Tugon ng Masa surveys show the Leni Robredo-Raffy Tulfo tandem at 45 percent, against 42 percent for the Sara Duterte-Imee Marcos tandem. President Marcos maintains that such polling does not influence his governance decisions.
- One individual has expressed interest in the 2028 presidency, though formal discussions remain absent. President Marcos refused to identify the candidate, stating he has not sat down with anyone to discuss running.
- Selecting a candidate now remains premature, as the administration prioritizes current policy implementation over early electoral positioning. President Marcos noted that political conditions remain fluid and could change significantly before the 2028 elections.
17 Articles
17 Articles
Who is Marcos endorsing in 2028?
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is “certainly” endorsing a presidential candidate in 2028 even as he made it very clear on Friday, August 14, that a decision is far, far away. “Surveys are already being run to compare the candidates, this president and vice president, and that vice president and president, and we have the numbers. Well, they’re interesting, but I don’t know how useful they are. Only because it’s far too early,” said Marcos in a …
Marcos Says He Will Endorse 2028 Philippine Presidential Candidate
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said on Friday that he plans to endorse a candidate for the country’s 2028 presidential election, but said he has not yet decided who will receive his backing. Marcos is constitutionally limited to a single six year term, making the question of his preferred successor increasingly important as potential candidates […] The post Marcos Says He Will Endorse 2028 Philippine Presidential Candidate appeared fir…
Marcos says he has yet to decide who to back as successor
MANILA — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr confirmed on Friday that he would endorse a candidate for the 2028 presidential election, but said he had yet to decide who he would back. With Philippine presidents limited by the constitution to a single, six-year term in office, Marcos had been expected to back a candidate, as his fierce political […] The post Marcos says he has yet to decide who to back as successor appeared first on Interaksyon.
Philippine president says he has yet to decide who to back as successor
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr confirmed on Friday that he would endorse a candidate for the 2028 presidential election, but said he had yet to decide who he would back.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 43% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium














