You are connecting from Lake Geneva Public Library, please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.
Published 6 days ago • loading... • Updated 4 days ago
Russian Oil Refinery 'Completely Shut Down' for Months Following Ukrainian Attack, Local Governor Says
Repairs could take up to 6 months as sanctions limit replacement equipment, while 80% of regional filling stations remain open, officials said.
On Thursday, authorities confirmed the Orsknefteorgsintez refinery in Orsk suspended operations for up to six months following a Ukrainian drone attack earlier this week.
The Ukrainian military said Tuesday it had attacked the Orsknefteorgsintez refinery, located around 1,500 kilometers from the border with Ukraine.
Governor Yevgeny Solntsev noted that shrapnel damaged "key infrastructure" at the site, which has an annual processing capacity of 6.6 million metric tons, complicating repairs due to Western sanctions.
On Wednesday, Solntsev introduced fuel rationing and an odd-even license plate system, with 80% of the region's 287 filling stations remaining operational for priority vehicles.
As the Orenburg region faces renewed energy infrastructure disruptions, officials are preparing for a worst-case scenario by importing fuel from outside the region.