No Permission Granted for August 21 Protest at Jantar Mantar: Delhi Police
Police said no permission was granted for the Jantar Mantar protest and warned that prohibitory orders bar gatherings of five or more in New Delhi district.
- On Thursday, Delhi Police termed social media claims regarding permission for an anti-reservation protest at Jantar Mantar on Friday as "false and misleading," confirming no authorization was granted.
- The Reservation Hatao Andolan, an Instagram-based page, organized the digital campaign to end "casteism" and "reservation" by adopting protest-mobilization tactics from the Cockroach Janta Party.
- Prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita currently ban processions and the assembly of five or more people in New Delhi.
- The Delhi Police dismissed circulating videos as misleading, appealing to the public to avoid sharing unverified content while warning that legal action could be taken against offenders.
- In contrast, activists led by the All India Progressive Women Association demanded 33 per cent reservation for women in Parliament, a goal Prime Minister Modi urged the Opposition to support during his I-Day speech.
28 Articles
28 Articles
Delhi Police Detain Anti-Reservation Protesters At Jantar Mantar
The protesters were mobilised through social media for the demonstration, demanding that economic criteria be given precedence over caste in determining eligibility for government support and reservation.
Thousands of general category protesters demonstrated at Delhi's Jantar Mantar on Friday against the UGC's equity rules and demanded reforms to caste-based reservations. During the demonstration, some also protested against the SC/ST Act and demanded its repeal.
General show of strength: Thousands storm Jantar Mantar over UGC norms, quota reforms
Jantar Mantar protest: Thousands gathered at New Delhi's Jantar Mantar in a show of strength by groups opposing the UGC equity norms and seeking reforms in caste-based reservations. The protest by diverse groups, primarily from upper castes, came amid confusion over Delhi Police permission. Protesters said they would leave only after submitting a memorandum to PM Modi.
Security heightened at Jantar Mantar in view of proposed anti-reservation protest
According to the sources, some people gathered at the protest site in the morning, but they were immediately removed by the police as no permission had been granted for holding the demonstration
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 67% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
























