Ontario Fire Crews Making Good Progress Despite Large Area Burned, Minister Says
Ontario officials say dozens of wildfires have been extinguished in two weeks, while 1,150 evacuees remain in host communities.
- On Tuesday, Ontario Minister of Natural Resources Mike Harris reported crews extinguished dozens of wildfires in the last two weeks, with significantly fewer fires now burning out of control across the province.
- Harris stated the wildfire season is "way surpassing" previous years in terms of area burned, with Ontario recording its largest wildfire ever this year, spanning 3,500 square kilometres at its peak.
- Fires forced evacuations across 14 communities, though six have already returned home; about 1,150 evacuees remain in host communities as crews continue containment efforts.
- Harris advised residents near active fires do not need to wait for a Ministry of Natural Resources evacuation order before leaving, emphasizing proactive safety measures.
- Despite progress, Harris cautioned that Ontario is not yet in the clear, though he expressed confidence crews will manage the remaining active fires and complete the job.
52 Articles
52 Articles
Despite new wildfire activity, forest fire hazard mostly low and moderate across northwestern Ontario
There are 110 active wildfires in northwestern Ontario, says the latest report issued Tuesday night from Ontario's Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services (AFFES). The forest fire hazard is mostly low and somewhat moderate across northwestern Ontario, but there are significant areas of high hazard across southwestern parts of the region. Here's more on what's happening.
Hotshot crew arrives at Mount Rainier Fire
Firefighters have removed potential fuels around the Sunrise Visitor Center, and are wary of the threat of thunderstorms later this week.
Five new fires bring Northwestern Ontario to 110 active wildfires as major complexes remain uncontrolled
Northwestern Ontario Wildfire Update: Five New Fires, 110 Active Across Region THUNDER BAY — Five new wildland fires were confirmed across Northwestern Ontario by early Tuesday evening, Aug. 11, as firefighters continued suppression work on major incidents in the Rinker Lake and Atikokan areas. Ontario’s Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services report 110 active wildland […]
Ontario's wildfires are easing, but questions linger
There are now 152 active fires across Ontario, with 12 burning out of control. Over the last week, 84 fires have been put out, after 80 were extinguished the week before. However, more than 1,000 evacuees remain away from home.
Ontario is making progress in its fight against forest fires, but continues to be criticized by the opposition for its management of the crisis.
Ontario making 'steady progress' against wildfires: Ministers
Ontario still has 152 wildfires burning, but the number considered out of control has dropped sharply.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 52% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
















