Visitor Brochures Are Returned to Medgar Evers Home
The National Park Service removed references labeling Medgar Evers' killer a racist following a 2025 executive order aimed at revising historical narratives, sparking criticism.
- On Feb. 5, 2026, the National Park Service reported removing visitor brochures at the Medgar & Myrlie Evers Home National Monument, but copies were still available, contradicting the report.
- Park officials say the change follows Secretary's Order 3431 and a March 2025 executive order prompting a review to ensure parks tell the full and accurate story of American history.
- The draft replacements remove visitor brochure content calling Byron De La Beckwith `racist` and eliminate descriptions of Medgar Evers lying in a pool of blood.
- After public outcry, the National Park Service returned brochures it reportedly pulled following protests from historians, officials, and the Evers family who cited that `The murder of Medgar Evers was an act of racial terror`.
- Working with the Evers family, the NPS is revising park interpretive materials with input from the Medgar and Myrlie Evers Institute under two agreements, while critics warn the edits sanitize history.
14 Articles
14 Articles
Report of attempted whitewashing at Mississippi civil rights monument under dispute
The National Park Service is accused of pulling material from a civil rights monument in Mississippi to whitewash language labeling the murderer a racist. A conversation with a local parks employee didn’t back that allegation up.
National Park Service Returns Brochure Calling Civil Rights Leader’s Assassin A ‘Racist’
The National Park Service returned brochures they reportedly pulled from a monument honoring civil rights activist Medgar Evers on Thursday, calling his assassin, a Klu Klux Klan member, a “racist” following massive backlash.
Visitor brochures are returned to Medgar Evers home
Hours after Mississippi Today reported Thursday that the National Park Service had removed brochures to the Medgar & Myrlie Evers Home National Monument that identified his murderer as a racist, the Park Service returned the brochures to the home. On Thursday, Park Service officials told Mississippi Today that the reason they removed the brochures was they were [...]
Trump Admin Doesn’t Want Us to Call the Klansman Who Murdered Medgar Evers a Racist
Medgar Evers in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1960. Photo: Getty Images There are few civil rights icons more central to Mississippi history than Medgar Evers. The NAACP’s first field secretary for the Magnolia State, Evers was a decorated U.S. Army veteran who earned three medals while serving in World War II and later launched a public investigation into the murder of Emmett Till. This week, however, Trump’s National Park Service tried to declare …
Brochures Calling Medgar Evers’ Killer ‘Racist’ Still Available at Evers Home
Visitor brochures detailing the true history of the racist who murdered Medgar Evers are available to visitors at his memorialized home in Jackson, Mississippi, after a report said they had been removed. The post Brochures Calling Medgar Evers’ Killer ‘Racist’ Still Available at Evers Home appeared first on Mississippi Free Press.
National Park Service Removes Brochures For Medgar Evers Monument
Source: Bettmann / Getty Late last month, we reported that the National Park Service began removing a slavery memorial at the President’s House in Philadelphia in compliance with Trump’s executive order, titled the “Restoring Truth and Sanity to American History,” which the White House claimed was an order aimed at correcting “a concerted and widespread effort to rewrite our Nation’s history.” The memorial honored the lives of the nine enslaved …
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 80% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium













