Minnesota authorities demand federal records, evidence from Pretti killing
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty set a March 3 deadline for federal agencies to provide evidence in two Minneapolis shootings, warning of potential legal action for noncompliance.
- During a Wednesday news conference, Moriarty announced she filed Touhy demands seeking federal evidence in the Pretti and Sosa-Celis shootings, giving DHS and DOJ until March 3 to comply.
- In south Minneapolis on Jan. 24, Alex Pretti was shot during an immigration enforcement operation after a struggle with a Border Patrol agent while helping a woman, prompting protests.
- Using public evidence portals, the BCA and Moriarty's team review over 1,000 submissions, despite the federal agencies' refusal to share evidence, Moriarty said Wednesday.
- The FBI has told the BCA it will not share evidence, and Moriarty said this hinders prosecutors and her office may sue DHS and DOJ if they do not comply by March 3.
- Public pressure intensified as Moriarty said, 'The lies about what transpired that night are still on the DHS website. We’re prepared to take legal action should DHS and DOJ fail to meet our deadline and continue to obstruct our investigations,' amid inquiries into federal agents' actions.
9 Articles
9 Articles
How ICE Will Spy On Protesters, And How You Can Protect Your Privacy - Bucks County Beacon
This article was originally published at Tech Policy Press and is reprinted here with permission. The killing of Renee Nicole Good and Alex Pretti by federal agents in Minneapolis last month seemed to mark a breaking point for the United States on immigration enforcement. But rather than lowering tensions, the government appears intent on cranking the temperature up. President Donald Trump framed Good’s killing as the price of being “disrespectf…
Minnesota authorities demand federal records, evidence from Pretti killing
The Hennepin County, Minn., Attorney’s office on Wednesday demanded that the federal government hand over records and evidence related to the killing of U.S. citizen Alex Pretti by federal officers during a federal immigration enforcement operation in Minneapolis last month. The office of Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty accused the Trump administration of hiding evidence…
Minnesota prosecutors are demanding that federal officials share evidence in the killing of Alex Pretti and the shooting of Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis by federal immigration agents in Minneapolis. Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty announced she issued the “Touhy” demands, which she compared to subpoenas in state court, during a news conference on Wednesday. The demands, […]
Prosecutors demand federal evidence from the shooting of two people during Minnesota's immigration crackdown
The Hennepin County attorney’s office has issued formal legal demands for records from the federal government regarding the fatal January 24 shooting death of Alex Pretti, and the shooting of a Venezuelan national on January 14 in Minneapolis.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 67% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium








