Mets' Alvarez, Robert Jr., Polanco and Baty won't play early in spring games
- On Tuesday, Mets manager Carlos Mendoza announced Francisco Alvarez, Luis Robert Jr., Jorge Polanco, and Brett Baty won’t play in early spring games as the club eases them into action before Grapefruit League starts Saturday.
- Following reported hamstring discomfort two weeks ago, Baty is being eased in while Polanco, after patella tendon surgery in October 2024, still played 138 games in 2025.
- Mets trainers will run strengthening and back-field programs for Luis Robert Jr., while Polanco and Alvarez will receive live at-bats before ramping up to game action, Mendoza said.
- The decision will sideline those players for early Grapefruit League games Saturday, with Carlos Mendoza describing the updates as minor, precautionary measures to keep the New York Mets fresh.
- Despite a crowded infield, Baty’s versatility in taking reps at multiple positions could influence his roster role, and trainers aim to strengthen Robert Jr.'s lower body for season readiness, Mendoza said.
19 Articles
19 Articles
Mets playing it cautious with oft-injured Luis Robert Jr. in hopes of unleashing All-Star potential
Luis Robert Jr.’s various lower body injuries over the last two seasons have largely prevented him from maintaining the level he reached in his 2023 All-Star season with the White Sox.
Mets will work in Luis Robert Jr. slowly this spring in an effort to keep him healthy
PORT ST. LUCIE — When Luis Robert Jr. was traded to the Mets in a late night deal last month, he had so many initial thoughts that he was unable to discern them all. There were nerves, which were to be expected after 10 years of playing only with the Chicago White Sox. There were also thoughts about playing with stars like Juan Soto. There was also the daunting idea of playing in New York City. “I can’t really explain the proper emotions I had f…
Mets’ Alvarez, Robert Jr., Polanco and Baty won’t play early in spring games
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) — New York Mets catcher Francisco Alvarez, outfielder Luis Robert Jr. and infielders Jorge Polanco and Brett Baty won’t play early in games this spring, manager Carlos Mendoza said Tuesday.
Mets' Alvarez, Robert Jr., Polanco and Baty won't play early in spring games
New York Mets catcher Francisco Alvarez, outfielder Luis Robert Jr. and infielders Jorge Polanco and Brett Baty won’t play early in games this spring, manager Carlos Mendoza said Tuesday. Mendoza said Baty felt something in his right hamstring a couple…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 75% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium











