Massachusetts anti-hunger advocate fasts to protest Trump food stamp cuts
Wills-O’Gilvie says 5.3 million people have lost SNAP benefits under Trump’s law as Massachusetts enrollment falls and caseworkers are overwhelmed.
- Anti-Hunger advocate Liz Wills-O'Gilvie, 63, has abstained from food for 15 days to urge Governor Maura Healey to expand funding for Massachusetts' Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- President Donald Trump enacted major overhauls to the program in his 2025 tax and spending law, causing more than 5.3 million people across the U.S. to lose SNAP benefits.
- The Department of Transitional Assistance reports enrollment is down by nearly 182,000 people, including nearly 65,000 children, while about 47% of callers cannot reach staff.
- Wills-O'Gilvie, appointed by Healey to the Anti-Hunger Task Force, spoke with the governor last week; DTA staff remain overwhelmed and unable to address caseworker shortages.
- Declaring "I can't let people down," Wills-O'Gilvie intends to continue fasting indefinitely, emphasizing her personal experience with food insecurity while pressing for government action.
28 Articles
28 Articles
Food insecurity activist, Liz Wills-O’Gilvie, on day 16 of hunger strike to protest Trump’s SNAP cuts
Liz Wills-O’Gilvie is 16 days into a hunger strike to protest President Donald Trump’s food stamp cuts. Wills-O’Gilvie, of Springfield, Mass, subsists on water, electrolytes and sugar pills during her hunger strike to bring attention to food insecurity caused by cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Four million Americans were removed from the […]
Massachusetts anti-hunger advocate fasts to protest Trump food stamp cuts
By consuming only water, electrolytes and glucose pills, Wills-O'Gilvie aims to draw attention to rising food insecurity due to cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
Massachusetts woman launches hunger strike to protest Trump cuts
Now unable to drive due to her fasting, the woman said she has met with state lawmakers inside her own home
Massachusetts anti-hunger advocate fasts to protest Trump food stamp cuts - Regional Media News
WASHINGTON, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Anti-hunger advocate Liz Wills-O'Gilvie, 63, said she has not eaten for 15 days in a bid to push Governor Maura Healey to raise funding for Massachusetts' shrinking food stamp program. By consuming only water, electrolytes and glucose pills, Wills-O'Gilvie, whom Healey last year appointed to an anti-hunger task force, aims to draw attention to rising food insecurity due to cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assista…
Trump’s food stamp cuts trigger 15-day hunger protest by Massachusetts advocate
Massachusetts anti-hunger advocate Liz Wills-O’Gilvie says she has gone without food for 15 days in an effort to pressure Governor Maura Healey to increase funding for the state’s shrinking food assistance programme. SNAP, commonly referred to as food stamps, is the main US government programme helping low-income households pay for groceries. Eligible recipients receive benefits that can be used to buy food, with the program funded by the federa…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 81% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium












