Luigi Mangione complains of double jeopardy in courtroom outburst
State prosecutors advanced the June 8 trial date over defense objections citing double jeopardy concerns as the case precedes a federal trial set for September.
- Setting a June 8 trial, Carro, a New York state judge, scheduled Mangione's case amid protests as he was led out in handcuffs.
- State prosecutors requested a July 1 start and pressed for a prompt state trial, while the federal government backed away from letting the state case proceed first, with jury selection set for Sept. 8.
- Federal rulings also state prosecutors recovered a backpack with a 9 mm handgun, a notebook describing intent to target a health-insurance executive, and ammunition markings; the judge barred the death penalty last week.
- Carro told the defense to be ready and said he could delay the state trial to Sept. 8 if the Department of Justice appeals, raising New York double jeopardy law risks.
- About two dozen supporters attended, including some wearing shirts with the message, while Mangione said: `One plus one equals two. This is double jeopardy by any common sense judgment` during his outburst.
165 Articles
165 Articles
Mangione protests as back-to-back trials set
NEW YORK — Luigi Mangione spoke out in court Friday against the prospect of back-to-back trials over the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, telling a judge: "It's the same trial twice. One plus one is two. Double jeopardy by…
Mangione protests back-to-back trials in court outburst
NEW YORK — Luigi Mangione spoke out in court Friday against the prospect of back-to-back trials over the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, telling a judge: "It's the same trial twice. One plus one is two. Double jeopardy by…
Mangione is accused of shooting a health insurance executive, but he denies the charges.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 69% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium































