Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Justice Department’s last-minute decision not to defend gun law causes confusion among owners

The ruling affects enforcement against plaintiffs while the government still has 60 days to seek a standard appeal, officials said.

  • Confusion follows the Justice Department's decision to miss a Wednesday deadline to stay a federal court ruling that struck down registration requirements for certain firearms under the 1934 National Firearms Act.
  • Last week, U.S. District Judge James Wesley Hendrix ruled that the 1934 law's restrictions conflict with recent legislation eliminating the tax on short-barreled rifles, shotguns, and silencers, blocking enforcement against plaintiffs and associates.
  • GOP Rep. Andrew Clyde and nearly four dozen lawmakers urged Attorney General Todd Blanche on Tuesday not to appeal, while gun owners described the situation as a "confused mess" seeking clarity on suppressor purchases.
  • Second Amendment Foundation Executive Director Adam Kraut said the government "still has time to appeal," while gun safety groups criticized the Justice Department's inaction as abandoning defense of the nearly century-old statute.
  • Although the ruling is now in effect, the administration retains seven weeks to appeal, with midterm political pressures influencing whether officials will challenge the decision.
Insights by Ground AI

15 Articles

CNNCNN
+8 Reposted by 8 other sources
Lean Left

Justice Department’s last-minute decision not to defend gun law causes confusion among owners

Confusion has ensued after the Justice Department decided to, at least for now, not challenge a federal court ruling that struck down federal registration requirements for firearm suppressors, short-barreled rifles and other weapons.

·Atlanta, United States
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 53% of the sources are Center
53% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The National Desk broke the news in Washington, United States on Thursday, August 13, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal