Meghalaya Orders Judicial Probe Into Blast at Illegal Coal Mine that Killed 27
The inquiry will investigate the February 5 illegal coal mine blast that killed 27 workers and recommend measures to prevent future incidents, officials said.
- On Monday, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma announced a Judicial Inquiry Commission to probe the February 5 blast that killed 27 workers in East Jaintia Hills district.
- Despite the 2014 National Green Tribunal ban, rat-hole mining persists in Meghalaya, and a 2022 court-appointed panel found the state overstated pre-ban coal by 13 lakh metric tonnes.
- At the Thangsko area of Mynsngat village, about 40 km from district HQ, SDRF, NDRF, police and volunteers recovered 6 of 24 bodies from a 100-foot-deep mine while registering a suo motu FIR and arresting two persons.
- On Monday, the Meghalaya High Court division bench took suo motu cognisance, summoned the Deputy Commissioner of East Jaintia Hills and Superintendent of Police Vikash Kumar, and an unidentified Home Department official said the Judicial Inquiry Commission will fix responsibility.
- NDRF officials described challenges including possible poisonous gases and darkness during searches, noting the remote location slowed operations and locals fled, complicating recovery efforts.
17 Articles
17 Articles
Meghalaya HC summons East Jaintia Hills DC, SP over illegal coal mine blast that killed 27
The deputy commissioner and the superintendent of police (SP) of East Jaintia Hills district appeared before the Meghalaya High Court on Monday in connection with the February 5 blast at an illegal coal mine that claimed 27 lives. The High Court had taken cognisance of a media report on the incident on Friday and directed the two senior district officials to appear in person and inform the court about the action taken so far. FIR registered, inv…
Meghalaya govt to constitute judicial inquiry commission to investigate Mynsngat mine collapse
"The Government has decided to constitute a Judicial Inquiry Commission under the Commission of Inquiry Act to investigate the recent tragic mining incident in Mynsngat - Thangsko area in East Jaintia Hills," Chief Minister Conrad Sangma said on X.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium









