Published • loading... • Updated
John Swinney Was Told of Peter Murrell Charges Weeks Before They Became Public
The Lord Advocate emailed the First Minister about Peter Murrell's indictment nearly a month before public release, sparking calls for transparency on the delayed court hearing.
- An email sent on January 19 notified First Minister John Swinney that Peter Murrell had been indicted, with details only published on February 13, according to the COPFS.
- COPFS said the email was sent to form part of the record and ensure transparency, emphasising Lord Advocate Dorothy Bain KC was not involved in decisions and noting the tradition of non-involvement in cases involving politicians.
- Media accounts said Murrell is accused of embezzling £459,000 from August 2010 to January 2023 and that the Sun reported the memo was circulated within government.
- Scottish Conservatives are demanding answers, as Murrell's hearing was postponed from February 20 to May 25, with the hearing now at the High Court in Edinburgh, prompting questions over timing ahead of the May Holyrood election.
- With COPFS defending its actions, Scottish Labour leader `Anas Sarwar` posted `This looks dodgy`, while ministers stressed judicial scheduling is independent.
Insights by Ground AI
15 Articles
15 Articles
Peter Murrell: John Swinney briefed on embezzlement charges against Nicola Sturgeon’s husband before they became public
Scotland’s top prosecutor has come under intense scrutiny after it was revealed she shared details of the embezzlement charges against Peter Murrell with First Minister John Swinney 33 days before the details were made available to the public
·London, United Kingdom
Read Full ArticleCoverage Details
Total News Sources15
Leaning Left6Leaning Right3Center5Last UpdatedBias Distribution43% Left
Bias Distribution
- 43% of the sources lean Left
43% Left
L 43%
C 36%
R 21%
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium













