Israel Moves Forward with Internationally Condemned Settlement Plan that Could ‘Bury’ Two-State Solution
- On Tuesday, Maaleh Adumim Mayor Guy Yifrach announced the launch of 1,400 housing units in the E-1 corridor, advancing government plans to populate the contentious area between Maaleh Adumim and Jerusalem.
- First developed by the Shamir government in 1991, the plan to build in E-1 was later advanced by the Rabin administration in the mid-1990s, though American and European Union opposition halted efforts repeatedly.
- Spanning 12 square kilometers, the E-1 corridor was approved for 3,412 housing units by the Higher Planning Committee in August 2025. Yifrach said the construction is "vital to the future of Maale Adumim, to its continued growth, expansion, and the strengthening of its position as a strong city in Israel."
- European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said the plan "undermines the two-state solution," while Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich claimed "This reality buries the idea for good — there is nothing to recognize."
- Detractors argue new roads will not prevent Israel from effectively blocking Palestinian statehood, as international observers and Palestinians view E-1 as critical; without it, establishing a Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital is impossible.
62 Articles
62 Articles
Jordan, Egypt condemn Israel’s E1 settlement plan, warn of West Bank division
Amman/Cairo, Aug. 20 (SANA) Jordan and Egypt condemned Israel’s plan Thursday to build 1,234 settlement units under the E1 project east of occupied Jerusalem, warning it would divide the West Bank and undermine prospects for a Palestinian state.Jordanian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Fouad al-Majali called the project a “flagrant violation” of international law and international humanitarian law and a violation of Palestinians’ right to self-det…
Israel moves forward with internationally condemned settlement plan that could ‘bury’ two-state solution
By Tal Shalev, Zeena Saifi, Oren Liebermann, CNN (CNN) — The Israeli government advanced an internationally condemned settlement plan in the occupied West Bank that could split the territory and “bury” the possibility of a two-state solution.Israel’s Housing Ministry issued a notice inviting bids for the construction of more than 1,200 housing units in E1 The post Israel moves forward with internationally condemned settlement plan that could ‘bu…
Settlement Area Boundary Expansion
Complete the Survey by October 30, 2026, at 4:00 pm
Britain summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
LONDON — Britain summoned Israel’s charge d’affaires on Wednesday and demanded a halt to a major settlement project in occupied West Bank after Israeli authorities opened bidding for more than 1,200 homes in the area.The E1 plan, green-lit by Israel last year, has drawn international condemnation, with the UN secretary general saying at the time that it posed an “existential threat” to a contiguous Palestinian state.The project would further sep…
This article was originally published on Cedarnews.net. For more news and exclusive reports, visit our website. Israel has opened tenders for the construction of approximately 1,200 settlement units in a strategically important part of the occupied West Bank, as its government seeks to eliminate any possibility of a Palestinian state. This news was published on the Cedarnews website. For more breaking news and exclusive reports, visit our offici…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 39% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


































