Iran says two French embassy employees barred from returning
Iran said the diplomats violated the Vienna Convention and linked them to a wider foreign-interference case involving arrests and alleged covert contacts.
- On Monday, Iran's Foreign Ministry announced that two French embassy employees involved in a July dispute will be barred from returning to the country, with spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei alleging they violated the Vienna Convention by supporting Iranian civil society.
- The dispute centers on 'Villa Zadig,' a French Embassy cultural project promoting exchanges with students and artists, though Iranian officials characterized a July 19 meeting at artist Arya Kasaei's home as a site of 'illegal presence.'
- During the July 19 meeting, Iranian security forces arrested artists Arya Kasaei and Elaheh Naghilou while the French cultural attaché was present; Iran's Intelligence Ministry labeled the gathering a 'major case of foreign infiltration' and interference.
- French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot denounced the event as an 'extremely serious act of intimidation by the Iranian security services,' stating the diplomats were detained without reason while supporting Iranian civil society.
- Tehran remains highly sensitive to perceived Western meddling in internal affairs, particularly following attacks in late February; the Intelligence Ministry accused France of operating a 'wide-ranging project aimed at exerting influence' and preparing actions against Iranian independence.
31 Articles
31 Articles
Aria Kasaei and Elahe Naghilou were arrested on 19 July. The Iranian regime refers to "a secret appointment", a project of "infiltration" and "interference" of France.
Iranian authorities crack down on cultural exchanges with France
In mid-July, two French diplomats were arrested and two Iranian graphic designers were detained in a new low in the deterioration of relations. The case centers around a meeting about Villa Zadig, a cultural project aimed at promoting residencies and exchanges with Iranian civil society.
On 20 July, the head of French diplomacy, Jean-Noël Barrot, denounced "an extremely serious act of intimidation on the part of the Iranian security services" against two diplomats, one of whom had been "molested".
Diplomatic Dispute: Iran Bars Return of French Embassy Employees
Iran has announced that two French embassy employees involved in last month's diplomatic dispute are barred from returning. Accused of violating the Vienna Convention, they allegedly engaged in activities supporting Iranian civil society. France's Foreign Minister insists their mission was to aid Iranian students and artists.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 35% of the sources lean Left, 35% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium























