Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Hong Kong Court to Deliver Verdict for 2 Prominent Former Tiananmen Vigil Organizers

Prosecutors said the pair’s decades of vigil organizing and calls to end one-party rule were meant to undermine state power.

  • On Friday, a Hong Kong court is expected to deliver a verdict in the subversion trial of former Hong Kong Alliance leaders Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung, who organized an annual vigil commemorating the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown.
  • Beijing-Imposed security laws, enacted after 2019 protests, led to the prosecution of the pair; the Hong Kong Alliance, which organized Tiananmen vigils for three decades, disbanded in 2021 as authorities targeted pro-democracy groups.
  • Prosecutors argued the activists incited others to topple China's fundamental system through calls for "ending one-party rule," while the defense denied these allegations, maintaining the slogan advocated for democracy rather than illegal overthrow.
  • If convicted by three judges, the activists face up to 10 years in prison; their co-defendant Albert Ho, a former vigil organizer, previously entered a guilty plea, typically resulting in reduced sentencing.
  • Critics consider this case a litmus test for Hong Kong's civil rights and judicial independence, as Chow, defending herself as a barrister, warned the court risks becoming an accomplice if it fails to gatekeep against overreach.
Insights by Ground AI

171 Articles

TagesschauTagesschau
+4 Reposted by 4 other sources
Center

They are said to have incited "illegal" actions: Two former organisers of vigils for the Tiananmen massacre in Beijing must be imprisoned for years in Hong Kong. European governments criticise this.

·Hamburg, Germany
Read Full Article
Lean Right

·Dublin, Ireland
Read Full Article
Lean Right

For years, Chow Hangtung and Lee Cheuk-yan have organized vigils for the Tiananmen Square massacre. A Hong Kong court has now sentenced them.

·Berlin, Germany
Read Full Article
Lean Left

Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung were found guilty of incitement to subversion. On the island the memory of this bloody chapter of Chinese history had always resisted, but China for six years now has imposed silence on the massacre of ...89 also here

·Rome, Italy
Read Full Article

For a long time, people in Hong Kong recalled the bloody suppression of the protests in Beijing in 1989. Two former organisers have now been sentenced. Germany and France demand their immediate release.

·Zürich, Switzerland
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 40% of the sources lean Left
40% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Winnipeg Free Press broke the news in Winnipeg, Canada on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal