Published • loading... • Updated
'The Voice of Hind Rajab' Director Refuses Berlin Award, Cites Need for Justice and Accountability
Kaouther Ben Hania rejected the award, emphasizing justice and accountability for Hind Rajab's killing, stating without accountability, there is no peace.
- At the Adlon Hotel on Monday night, Kaouther Ben Hania declined the Cinema for Peace 'Most Valuable Film' award and said, `So tonight, I will not take this award home. I leave it here as a reminder.`
- Objecting to the gala's decision to honour Noam Tibon, Ben Hania said peace without accountability is meaningless and criticized the honouring of a former Israeli general, which she explicitly objected to.
- The film centres on Hind Rajab's death and a three-hour call, and Ben Hania said the Israeli army killed Hind Rajab, her family, and the paramedics who came to rescue her.
- Following recent artist withdrawals, festival pressure has intensified, with an open letter published in Variety signed by 81 festival alumni and last year's boycott pledge by more than 5,000 film workers.
- Critics note a perceived double standard by the festival, saying it supports Ukraine and Iranian dissidents while ignoring Gaza; the letter also condemned Germany’s weapons exports and cited an Al Jazeera investigation of US-made thermobaric weapons.
Insights by Ground AI
11 Articles
11 Articles
Also a winner, Kaouther Ben Hania, Tunisian director of the Oscar-nominated film The voice of Hind Rajab, refused her prize.
·Montreal, Canada
Read Full ArticleCoverage Details
Total News Sources11
Leaning Left7Leaning Right2Center1Last UpdatedBias Distribution70% Left
Bias Distribution
- 70% of the sources lean Left
70% Left
L 70%
R 20%
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium









