Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Hegseth Says Colombia's New President Has Requested US Collaboration in Anti-Drug Efforts

Colombia becomes the 19th member of the coalition as Hegseth says the partnership will expand joint military operations against drug traffickers.

  • On Wednesday, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced that Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella requested joint U.S. military operations "to destroy terrorists and terror networks."
  • During a Panama meeting of the Americas Counter-Cartel Coalition, Hegseth confirmed Colombia is joining the "Shield of the Americas" initiative as its 19th member.
  • The State Department announced last week a $1 billion military aid package to "support the De la Espriella Administration" in defeating narcoterrorist organizations threatening regional security.
  • Senator Ivan Cepeda of the opposition Historic Pact party rejected the announcement, citing constitutional requirements for Senate approval and claiming the president wants to "surrender our government, our territory and our sovereignty."
  • Separately, Hegseth urged the nearly 20 countries in attendance to reject the International Criminal Court, arguing U.S. operations remain legal under international humanitarian law and should not strip governments of their "sovereignty.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

114 Articles

Center

By Gonzalo Zegarra, CNN en Español The U.S. Secretary of Defense, Pete Hegseth, announced on Wednesday that the Colombian government authorized joint military operations to combat narcoterrorism, bringing the South American country together three other countries in the region that already gave the green light to the action of U.S. forces. Hegseth said in a meeting in Panama that President Abelardo de la Espriella “already requested” the Defense …

USA kaitseminister Pete Hegseth avalikustas Colombia valitsuse otsuse, mis lubab Ühendriikidel viia läbi ühiseid terrorismivastaseid operatsioone Colombia territooriumil.

·Tallinn, Estonia
Read Full Article
Lean Right

The brand-new Abelardo de la Espriella government called for support from the Donald Trump administration to combat armed groups and narcoterrorists

·Vicente López, Argentina
Read Full Article
Lean Right

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the new President Abelardo de la Espriella authorized "joint military operations" with the U.S. in Colombia. The goal, he said, is to combat narcoterrorism and confirmed that the Andean nation will join the Coalition against Posters of the Americas.

·Las Condes, Chile
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 35% of the sources are Center
35% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

GV Wire broke the news on Wednesday, August 12, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal