Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz fight pitch-rigging case as spring training starts
Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz pleaded not guilty to charges of wire fraud conspiracy and rigging over 100 in-game bets totaling $460,000, federal prosecutors said.
- Wednesday's hearing in Brooklyn federal court saw Clase and Ortiz enter not guilty pleas, with a trial likely moved to the fall, according to the judge.
- Major League Baseball alerted federal authorities after spotting irregular betting patterns, and prosecutors allege the pitchers accepted payoffs to help two gamblers from the Dominican Republic win at least $460,000 via more than 100 in-game prop bets and parlays.
- The indictment states Clase used code words `rooster` and `chicken`, and prosecutors allege a cellphone signal during a May 18, 2025 game enabled about $782,600 in winnings, with a third person as middleman.
- Both pitchers remain on non-disciplinary paid leave since July and face charges including wire fraud conspiracy and conspiracy to influence sporting contests.
- Prosecutors trace suspicious activity to 2023 and payoffs to last year, while lawyers for Luis Ortiz argue he may have been unaware and request a separate trial.
35 Articles
35 Articles
Clase, Ortiz cases carry into spring training
NEW YORK — A scheduled spring fraud trial for two Cleveland Guardians pitchers accused of colluding with sports bettors to rig bets and betray “America’s pastime” will likely be postponed until October, a federal judge said Wednesday as the men pleaded not guilty to a rewritten indictment. Judge Kiyo A. Matsumoto left a May 4 trial date on the books for now, but indicated she’ll probably move it to the fall in the coming weeks. Pitchers Emmanuel…
Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase, Luis Ortiz fight pitch-rigging case
NEW YORK -- A scheduled spring fraud trial for two Cleveland Guardians pitchers accused of colluding with sports bettors to rig bets and betray "America's pastime" will likely be postponed until October, a federal judge said Wednesday as the men pleaded not guilty to a rewritten indictment.
Emmanuel Clase, Luis Ortiz could have fraud trial delayed until fall after entering pleas Wednesday
CLEVELAND, Ohio — Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz could have their fraud trial moved back to October after both pitchers pleaded not guilty in federal court Wednesday in response to a rewritten indictment.
Emmanuel Clase, Luis Ortiz fight pitch-rigging case as spring training starts
A scheduled spring fraud trial for two Cleveland Guardians pitchers accused of colluding with sports bettors to rig bets and betray “America's pastime” will likely be postponed until October, a federal judge said Wednesday as the men pleaded not guilty to a rewritten indictment.
Clase, Ortiz plead not guilty in pitch-rigging case
A scheduled spring fraud trial for two Cleveland Guardians pitchers accused of colluding with sports bettors will likely be postponed until October, a federal judge said Wednesday as the men pleaded not guilty to a rewritten indictment.
Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase, Luis Ortiz fight pitch-rigging case as spring training starts
By LARRY NEUMEISTER NEW YORK — A scheduled spring fraud trial for two Cleveland Guardians pitchers accused of colluding with sports bettors to rig bets and betray “America’s pastime” will likely be postponed until October, a federal judge said Wednesday as the men pleaded not guilty to a rewritten indictment. Judge Kiyo A. Matsumoto left a May 4 trial date on the books for now, but indicated she’ll probably move it to the fall in the coming week…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 59% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
















