Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Gaza death toll in early part of war far higher than reported, says Lancet study

The study found about 75,200 violent deaths in Gaza from Oct 2023 to Jan 2025, with women, children, and elderly comprising 56% of fatalities, indicating a 35% undercount of official figures.

  • On January 5, 2025, the Lancet study found 75,200 violent deaths in Gaza up to early 2025, with 16,300 non-violent deaths, about 50% higher than the Gaza Ministry of Health's count.
  • Destroyed hospitals and missing records hinder accurate casualty reporting as bombarded Gaza hospitals and health services caused 'grey zone' deaths, while power infrastructure and administrative records loss worsened reporting barriers.
  • The Gaza Mortality Survey interviewed 2,000 families to measure population change since October 7, and study authors included economists, demographers and epidemiologists, with Palestinian interviewers due to sensitivity.
  • Gaza civilians face a heavy demographic toll as 42,200 women, children and the elderly were killed, while recovering bodies is hampered by limited equipment, mutilation and fractured social networks.
  • Israel disputes the counts, saying over 72,000, while a senior Israeli security officer told journalists last month that figures from Gaza health authorities were mostly accurate, though some analyses suggest totals could be 40% lower.
Insights by Ground AI

48 Articles

Center

A survey published by The Lancet Global Health concluded that the number of victims of the Gaza war is largely underestimated. ...

·Brussels, Belgium
Read Full Article
Lean Right

A recent study published in The Lancet Global Health medical journal revealed that the number of Palestinian martyrs during the first fifteen months of the genocidal war waged by the Israeli occupation on the Gaza Strip exceeded 75,000, a figure far exceeding the estimates announced by the Ministry of Health in the Strip during the same period, which amounted to about 49,000...

·Amman, Jordan
Read Full Article
der Standard ATder Standard AT
Reposted by
der Standard DEder Standard DE
Lean Left

According to a study by the journal "The Lancet Global Health", the number of 49,000 deaths in the first 15 months had to be corrected significantly upwards

·Vienna, Austria
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 42% of the sources lean Left
42% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Telegraph broke the news in London, United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal