Fuji TV bears heavy responsibility over Nakai's 'sexual violence': panel
- In 2023, Masahiro Nakai, a 52-year-old former member of SMAP and celebrity presenter for Fuji TV, was accused of sexual violence against a female employee, leading to an independent probe commissioned by Fuji TV and a report released on Monday.
- The incident reportedly involved Nakai paying the woman 90 million yen, equivalent to $570,000, and both parties signing a non-disclosure agreement.
- The 300-page report by the panel headed by lawyer Akira Takeuchi concluded that the woman was sexually assaulted as an extension of her duties at Fuji TV, citing evidence including messages and interviews, and criticized Fuji TV's corporate culture tolerant of harassment and its practice of organizing social gatherings based on gender, age, and appearance.
- President Kenji Shimizu apologized for the company's inadequate relief measures, acknowledging that the woman's supervisors, from the director to the then president, did not consider the incident a human rights issue, while Nakai had previously issued a statement claiming some reports were "different from the facts".
- The accusations against Nakai resulted in him being dropped from shows on multiple networks, a mass exit of advertisers from Fuji TV, and the resignation of the private channel's bosses, with Akira Takeuchi stating that "Fuji TV didn't learn from two incidents", referencing the suicide of a 'Terrace House' participant and the sexual assault accusations against Johnny & Associates' late founder Johnny Kitagawa.
37 Articles
37 Articles
Panel says ex-TV host Nakai did sexually assault Fuji TV employee
A third-party panel probing Fuji Television Network Inc and its handling of a scandal involving famous former TV host Masahiro Nakai has concluded he sexually assaulted a female employee amid a culture of harassment at the major Japanese network, a report showed Monday. Fuji TV has been mired in scandal…
Outside probe says Japanese TV station didn't support worker in sexual assault case
An independent investigation of a sexual assault case linked to one of Japan’s top celebrities says Fuji Television Network failed to support its female employee, adding that management lacked human rights awareness

An outside probe says a Japanese TV station didn't support its worker in a sexual assault case
An independent investigation of a sexual assault case linked to one of Japan’s top celebrities says Fuji Television Network failed to support its female employee, adding that management lacked human rights awareness.

Probe accuses ex J-pop star Nakai of sexual assault
An independent panel investigating allegations against an J-pop megastar-turned-TV host accused him on Monday of sexual violence against a Fuji Televsision employee, saying the company's handling of the matter amounted to harassment of the employee.
Fuji TV Scandal Involved Sexual Assault That Occurred in ‘Extension of Duties,’ Says 3rd-Party Committee
An incident between former TV personality Masahiro Nakai and a woman was “sexual violence that took place as an extension of duties at Fuji Television Network Inc.,” a committee of outside lawyers concluded Monday.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 44% of the sources lean Left
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
Ownership
To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage