Trump administration releases $30 million of frozen New York tunnel funding
The federal court's order ended a nearly five-month freeze that halted construction and led to about 1,000 layoffs, with an initial $30 million released for the $16 billion tunnel project.
- On Friday, the federal government sent $30 million to the Gateway Development Commission as part of $205 million in frozen funds for the $16 billion Hudson Tunnel Project.
- DOT froze the funds in October, citing a review of DEI-related contracting rules, prompting New York Attorney General Letitia James and New Jersey Acting Attorney General Jennifer Davenport to sue.
- About 1,000 workers have been sidelined since Feb. 6 when the GDC exhausted a line of credit, and construction will remain paused until the full $205 million is received.
- U.S. District Judge Jeannette Vargas ordered the federal government to report on disbursement status by Feb. 17, while federal attorneys said part of the $205 million is being sent now and the rest requires U.S. Treasury Department processing.
- The tunnel carries more than 200,000 daily travelers and 425 trains, and officials warned halting work could cost $100 million per day and risk failure of the existing Hudson Tunnel damaged in Hurricane Sandy, 2012.
16 Articles
16 Articles
Trump Administration Promises Gateway Tunnel Funding After Missing Court-Ordered Deadline: Report
Federal funding for the $16 billion Gateway rail tunnel will resume after a four-month suspension, though construction remains paused until the $205 million in overdue payments arrives.
Feds send $30 million to Gateway for Hudson River Tunnel, temporarily ending funding freeze
NEW YORK — Thirty million dollars in federal funds has finally made it to the coffers of the Gateway Development Commission, the Daily News has learned — ending, for now, nearly five months of funding interference by the Trump administration…
Trump caves on plan to hold tunnel money hostage after court smackdown
Trump administration officials have agreed to release $16 billion in federal funding for a critical tunnel project below the Hudson River — putting an end to a four-month legal battle the president started.According to The New York Times, "Federal funding for the $16 billion Gateway rail tunnel between New York City and New Jersey, which had been suspended for more than four months, began to flow again on Friday after lawyers for the Trump admin…
$30 million in fed funds temporarily ends tunnel freeze
Thirty million dollars in federal funds has finally made it to the coffers of the Gateway Development Commission, the Daily News has learned — ending, for now, nearly five months of funding interference by the Trump administration in the construction of the Hudson River Tunnel. “We have received an initial disbursement of $30 million from the federal government and expect to receive the full $205 million in reimbursement funds,” a GDC spokesman …
After court tells Trump administration to release funds, the massive new N.Y.-N.J. tunnel project gets $30 million
While Gov. Sherrill celebrated a court decision that restored $205 million in federal funds for the Gateway rail tunnel project, she said more battles with the Trump administration loomed in court.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium













